Care for your new area rug
Foremost, vacuum the area rug often. If the new area rug is made of wool the vacuum should not have a beater bar. If the beater bar cannot be removed, set the bar to it’s highest setting. Even if you do not see soil on the top of your area rug, small grains of dirt or sand can be carried into the home. If the rug is not vacuumed often the soil will work it’s way down to the bottom of the rug acting like small cutters that will, in time render the rug worn out and tired looking. The best way to avoid this is to vacuum often. Have the area rug professionally cleaned annually.
Two Step Solution for spills or stains
RugsToMyDoor selects area rugs based not only on how fashionable they are, but by how stain resistant they are.Cleaning up a rug spill is relatively easy. The key is to act quickly. The longer you wait, the higher the probability that a spill will become a permanent stain. NEVER RUB A SPILL. ONLY BLOT. Rubbing the rug may damage it severely.Follow these easy cleaning steps:
Step one: absorb the spill
a. DO NOT RUB THE SPILL…Blot liquids with a dry, white absorbent cloth or plain white paper towels (no prints or colors). Use of a printed or colored material may transfer ink or dye to your damp carpet.
b.Start at the outside of the spot and continue toward the center to prevent the stain from spreading. Continue step one until the area is barely damp. Semisolids, like food spills, may need to be scooped up with a spoon. Solid, dried bits can be vacuumed up. Warning: do not scrub or use a brush. Scrubbing and brushes can damage the carpet. Fraying and texture change is the likely result.
Step two: treat the spot or stain
a. Using the RugsToMyDoor approved WoolClean kit on your area rug regardless of what it is made of is the best way to remove a spot or stain without causing damage to your valued area rug. To view the product, or purchase it, click the graphic the graphic at right.
b. Do NOT ever use any cleaner without first spot testing in an inconspicuous area to make sure that the cleaner does not damage the fiber or color.
What if I didn’t buy WoolClean, and spilled something now? Try one of these homemade remedies.
- Use plain water… water works better than some rug cleaners. Always blot the spill with a clean white cloth before using any sort of cleaning solution on it.
- Use a detergent (don’t go running to the sink for soap…read this first)
- Mix 1/4 teaspoon of a clear dishwashing (not for a dishwashing machine, the sort of detergent that is used for in sink dish cleaning). liquid with one cup of warm water. Never use laundry detergent.
- Do not over wet the spill area.
- Once the spill has been visibly removed, use another white terrycloth to blot the rug again. Even if the area rug appears cleaned there may be a soapy residue left from your cleanser that will attract dirt later.
- Vacuum the area once the water you used dries.
Have a pet that doesn’t realize the value of your area rug?
- The reality is that pet stains are among the very most difficult things to remove from an area rug.
- If it is pet urine, BLOT right away with a clean white terrycloth. DO NOT RUB THE SPILL AREA. Then use WoolClean to treat the soiled area.
- If it is pet feces, scoop the matter up with a spoon WITHOUT PUSHING DOWN ON THE SOIL. Once the majority of the waste is removed, blot the stain area with a white terrycloth soaked in clear cool water. Repeat the process until most of the soil is eliminated DO NOT RUB THE AREA. Use WoolClean following the instructions for pets.
If you have questions about your area rug, you may contact us for help at 888.784.3924.